Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Delridge Heights


(Centerwood kids during one of their last Garden Clubs, making a sign in English and a sign in Spanish asking people to not step on the gardens)

Admittedly, my focus on Garden Clubs at Croft Place, Centerwood, and One Community Commons has undoubtedly caused me to neglect some of the gardens at other properties. One of these is Delridge Heights. I have managed the occasional meeting with one of the two residents who actively garden in order to answer questions and give her materials such as seeds and soil. The other resident was a bit more elusive and we have been unable to connect recently.

Delridge Heights, as you may remember, has four container beds, three that are 4ftx8ft and one that is 2ftx8ft. The two residents that participate each manage one 4ftx8ft garden and half of the 2ftx8ft garden. The fourth bed is under my care in order to grow some produce that can be made available to other residents who have expressed interested in eating the produce without necessarily gardening. The two residents have planted broccoli, peas, cauliflower, zucchini, onions, collards, tomatoes, peppers, and garlic, in addition to the many herbs and strawberries that were planted last year. In the community bed I planted lettuce, carrots, corn, and cucumber.

I dropped by the DH today for a scheduled meeting with the elusive resident, but alas our paths failed to cross once again! Frustrating indeed, but I got a chance to check on the produce and weed the gardens a bit. Oh what a wonder a little bit of heat and sunshine will do for a garden. The plants look incredibly happy! The onions are growing strong, and I separated many that were bunched closely together to give them ample bulbing space. The lettuces are huge, and I am going to have to pull a few and deliver fresh heads of lettuce to some residents before the end of the week. The broccoli has started to form a nice head and the strawberries are beginning to fruit. It's all very exciting (to me anyway) and I just hope I connect with the residents as soon as possible.

Here's some pics I took this morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment